Scott's Blog

A place for me to condense some of my spammy stream-of-consciousness-style thoughts & opinions. Feedback and comments are eagerly welcomed, especially if they're critical. I'm a big fan of input from others in my journey for self-improvement.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

I'm a twice-divorced father of the 5 most amazing boys on the planet. I play guitar & sing, I play board games & RPGs, and I coach partner acrobatics for fun - I used to perform in the circus.

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Valus and Opinions

I just had an epiphany. :)

It's not a pleasant thing to realize. :(

My values have become opinions.

Values are things I strive to live by. Opinions are things that I espouse. I do still have values, of course... I don't kill or steal or lie (much) or cheat or hurt others... I keep the basic Big Ten. But the higher (aka "harder") values aren't something I give more than a passing glance to. I kinda wave at 'em as they pass by, like Cpt. Jack Sparrow.

Anyway, not a pleasant thing to realize. But still valuable.

So how long am I gonna let my values slowly degrade into opinions? Alcohol, morality, partying, hedonism in lots of different benign faces... I keep giving up ground, and the ground is pretty much my soul.

*sigh*

I'll come back to this when my head is more clear, I think.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jem said...

"I keep the basic Big Ten."

Really? I'd say you keep eight of them, on the most usual interpretations. Various other interpretations might result in seven to nine, but I don't see how you're getting ten.

Of course, I'm not concerned with your adherence to this particular collection of rules, but I must admit that I do judge people on my perception of their abilities to count to ten. =)

I look forward to your promised followup post on this topic. As with many things, the rarity of your perspective makes me value it.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

You're surely right, Jem. :) I *did* briefly call out "the basic Big Ten" - I'm keeping most of 'em.

You are too concerned with my adherence! To at least some of 'em. You don't want me killing, for example, or coveting an ass. :)

And yes, I did fail to count accurately to 10, but I stand behind my defense: I did mitigate things with a "basic" thrown in there.

You and Creature, I think, share an enjoyment of the rarity of my perspective. It gives me hope that perhaps my viewpoint isn't insane so much as it's simply convoluted and obfuscating and ridden with HTML tags.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

That last post should have read, "You are, too, concerned..." - changes the meaning. Sorry.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home